The United States will be withdrawing all of its remaining 1,000-troop presence in Syria, finalizing an anticipated transfer of military command to the Syrian Army, according to a report by The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.
The Pentagon previously removed troops from the strategically important al-Shaddadi military base in the Hasakah region in the country’s northeast last week, as part of an agreed ceasefire with the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces.
Reports from Israeli media outlet, Ynet, indicate that the Israeli emergency services and the Home Front Command responsible for civil protection from foreign attack, received instructions from the Israeli government after an intelligence assessment was made of an imminent U.S. strike on Iran following negotiations over the nation’s nuclear program.
The United States military and the SDF partnered to combat ISIS in 2017 to displace the Jihadist group in Syria. Following the decimation of the terrorist group, however, the U.S. State Department backed interim President Ahmed al-Sharaa after the collapse of Bashar al-Assad.
“Two Israeli officials also told CNN that Israel has raised its level of alert and military preparations amid “growing indications” of a possible joint U.S.-Israeli strike on Iran in the coming days,” said Ynet.
🚨🇺🇸🇸🇾 | URGENTE/BREAKING/WORLD: The United States has announced a total drawback of U.S. forces in Syria as the Pentagon & the Israeli intelligence service assess imminent conflict with Iran.
— Sociedad Media (@sociedadmedia) February 18, 2026
📸 AFP pic.twitter.com/ERwOWQ2T8n
In the past 48 hours, the United States has deployed over 150 transport planes to supply weapons systems and equipment to the Middle East, giving rise to speculation of a broader military campaign against Iran.
The Pentagon has also transitioned 50 fighter jets that include F-16s, F-22s, and F-35s to the region, as Vice President J.D. Vance expressed that “diplomacy has reached its natural end” following talks with Iranian counterparts in Geneva on Tuesday.